Here at Kirkley Hall Zoological Gardens we have a responsibility to operate in a sustainable manner.
We achieve this by:
- Increasing awareness of conservation, biodiversity and sustainable use issues
- Providing habitat or aids to native species in and around the zoo
- Encouraging environmentally responsible behaviour by visitors
- Forging partnerships with other zoos and other bodies, which are active in areas relevant to the conservation of indigenous wildlife
There are two major types of conservation: In-situ conservation and Ex-situ conservation.
- In-situ conservation is helping protect and save habitats around the world where animals live naturally, i.e. in their natural environment
- Ex-situ conservation is helping the species away from its natural habitat